- 1 watermelon, about 7lbs
- 1 ½ cups white wine vinegar
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 jalapeño pepper, halved
- 1 inch ginger, peeled, sliced
HOW TO MAKE THIS PROJECT
- Remove flesh of watermelon and use for something else. Peel the rind and cut it into 3/4" pieces. It should yield about 7 cups.
- In a stockpot, combine all ingredients except watermelon.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Add watermelon pieces, return to a boil, and lower to a simmer.
- Simmer watermelon pieces, stirring occasionally, until all pieces are translucent, about 30 minutes.
- Let the pickled watermelon cool at room temperature and then refrigerate, or if canning, process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Tips for Inspiration
Add a summery twist to your salad by topping it with spicy watermelon rind. Try it with arugula, strawberries, a cheese of your choosing and balsamic dressing - great for a side dish, or to eat up all on its own.